Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Scam

Sweetwater County Sheriff Rich Haskell issued an advisory concerning a telephone scam that is making the rounds.
Haskell said the caller, based in Jamaica, telephones prospective victims and informs them they have won $150,000 through Publisher’s Clearing House. The caller then says all the person need do is to put a money order in the mail for $395 to cover the “custom stamp fee.”
“It’s a scam, of course,” said Haskell. “Once you send out your money order, your $395 is gone and there is no prize.” He emphasized that a legitimate sweepstakes or lottery will never ask for money in advance for fees, taxes, deposits, customs charges, or anything else.

1 comment:

  1. I can`t understand how anybody can believe in this fake prize! Did police found these scammers? I feel very sorry about people who spent 395 dollars for nothing. Few months ago I was short on cash, maybe if somebody would say that I won prize I would believe. My budget was very tight and my decision was to get a loan. So just know that you can get easy loans for financial emergencies.

    ReplyDelete